Sunday 11 November 2012

Cute Catnip Birdie




Today I decided to take a break from quilting to make something for my rather lovely cat, Lol. She has been watching over me while I craft so I thought she might appreciate a little present. I combined a couple of her favourite things in life - catnip and bird watching -  and came up with this cute little toy that's really simple and quick to make. The great thing about it is that you can make it as easy or as complicated as you like and your furry friend will love it just as much. 



Things You Will Need:

1. Cat Nip
2. Scissors
3. Embroidery Skeins
4. Needles
5. Sheets of Felt
6. Filling

If your cat is anything like mine, she will want to try and help you make this. Unfortunately my room looked like a catnip bomb had exploded after my kitty got involved, so maybe complete this project in a room with a door that you can close.

Step One:
Decide on your pattern and cut out a paper stencil. Draw around this stencil on to a folded piece of felt.


Step Two: 
Cut out the pattern. You should then be left with two identical shapes.

Step Three: 
For my toy I decided that I wanted to use different coloured felt to add some layers to the bird. I cut out a wing, plumage, and head and repeated step one and two.


Step Four:
Using a simple running stitch I sewed the layers of felt on to the bird shape, avoiding sewing the outer edges. You can repeat this process on both sides of your bird.


Step 5:
Using a back stitch I sewed together the two sides of the bird shape. I left a fairly large gap to allow me to fill the bird with stuffing and catnip.


Step 6:
I filled the bird with catnip, it is really up to you how much you would like to use, but my cat is a big fan so I put quite a lot in. Then stuff the bird using the filling. Try not to over stuff it as it makes it difficult to sew up.


Step 7:
Sew up the gap using the same back stitch. Take a black thread and tie a number of knots in the end and cut off the excess. Sew all the way through the toy and knot again on the other side, cutting off the excess. Voila! Your birdie is finished.

My cat loved her new toy, she sniffed it, rolled around with it, chewed it and then fell asleep with it, which I am taking as a compliment. 

It's a hard life!


If you don't have a cat of your own - how about skipping the catnip and adding some ribbon to make a cute christmas tree decoration? Or make a few and attach them to a hoop for an adorable mobile?


NB: Make sure you keep your kitty safe, supervise them when playing with the toy and make sure you replace it if it gets torn or the stitches come loose.

2 comments:

  1. This is really lovely Anna, I'm going to have to get crafty myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic idea, I must make mine some. x
    PS Thanks for your comment. It's best to go and have a look round at other vintage fairs to get an idea of how much you'll need. Yesterday I had two industrial-sized dress rails (crammed with his and hers vintage) plus four suitcases of accessories. I prefer a stall piled high rather than too neat and tidy as it's less intimidating and people will spend more time searching. x

    ReplyDelete